PGA Museum of Golf

Students from Keiser University College of Golf visited the PGA Museum of Golf on Thursday. Mr. Jim Young, volunteer coordinator for the Museum of Golf, guided the students on a tour of the many memorable displays, including an original putter used by Young Tom Morris, the only player in history to win four consecutive British Open Championships. The Museum of Golf also houses an original workbench used in the late 1800s to produce hickory shafted golf clubs and gutta percha golf balls, a compendium of memorabilia from 95 years of PGA of America history, and numerous displays depicting past champions, events, and trophies.

Another feature unique to the PGA Museum is the Probst Library, which includes more than 6,000 hard-cover books, more than 3,000 handbooks and yearbooks, and some 600 volumes of bound periodicals, including every edition of the PGA Magazine dating back to its origins in 1920. The library is named after Col. R. Otto Probst (1896-1986), an engineer from South Bend, Ind., who began collecting golf periodicals and books in the 1920s. The collection features golf books dating from the 1700s and periodicals from the 1850s covering instruction, art, biography, golf club histories, essays, equipment, fiction, history, humor, poetry, records, reference manuals, travelogues and The Rules of Golf.

Adjoining the Probst Library is a room containing rare books of golf, including the first published Scottish Acts of Parliament of 1566, covering, in retrospect, the reigns of King James I through Mary Queen of Scots. Among the manuscript was the first identifiable reference to golf. In 1457, James II prohibited his subjects playing golf because it prevented training in archery – vital to the defense of the Realm. The Acts were later relaxed in 1501 with the Treaty of Glasgow, and James IV had his own clubs made and began playing the game.

Students were unanimous in their praise of the Museum, and many came away with a new appreciation for the history of the great game of golf.